Saturday, April 26, 2008

When being a nurse pays off.....

As I have mentioned in an earlier post, my grandpa was recently diagnosed with lung cancer. After further testing at the Huntsman cancer center in Salt Lake, to my families devastation, they have confirmed that it is stage 4 lung cancer. My grandpa has decided to fight this horrible disease and begin treatment with chemotherapy. He had his first chemo treatment last week and did well with it for a few days. On Sunday he started vomiting, not being able to keep anything in, and just feeling like he'd been "run over by a train" and by Wednesday he was admitted to the hospital because of dehydration. I feel so bad for him and wish he didn't have to go through this! For the past year and a half my grandpa has been "taking care" of my grandma following her stroke in December of 2006 so you can imagine the situation they're in. My grandma really doesn't have the energy to take care of my grandpa when he's as sick as he is so this is where being a nurse comes into play. . . .
my grandpa's physician just approved him this week for in-home nursing care . . . . .
and guess who his nurse is going to me! That's right- - ME! I will be contracted out by a company called Critical Nurse Staffing to take care of my grandpa in his home. Bryce and I will be moving from Nebraska on May 11 and arrive in Nevada on May 13th. I have 5 days to put my apartment together and get things in order then it's off to Blanding for me. I will be living with my parents but taking care of my grandpa in his home 8 hours a day. I can't even begin to express how blessed I feel to have this opportunity to take care of my grandpa! Everything just kind of fell into place with this job and I am so thankful to be in the position I'm in. This will not be a permanent position because I do have a husband that is going to live 750 miles away and I don't know how long I will be able to be away from him. I just can't pass up this opportunity and Bryce supports it 100%. We will see each other about every 2 weeks.:( And when Bryce finishes taking his Barr exam at the end of July we will re-evaluate the situation. I am so excited to be able to spend some time with my mom and again.. so grateful to be able to take care of my grandpa (and grandma) and spend precious time with him. I never thought I'd live in Blanding again but. . . . . .mama I'm coming home!


16 comments:

Grant and Jessie Pennington said...

Britt! First off, I could of swore that I wrote you on your blog telling you I started this! Im totally not kidding either...I wonder if I posted something to you on someone elses page...oops. You were the first person I notified so who knows who got it. Funny though! Britt, that is so awesome that you get to take care of your Grandpa! What a blessing that will be to you and your family! I would love to come and see you in Blanding your if you ever come to Farmington you better be calling! Hope all is well and talk to you soon!!
XOXO
Jess

Nicole said...

I'm really sorry about your Grandpa. That is so neat that you get to be his nurse. Wow! I'm sure he's really thankful too about the great TLC he'll get from you. I hope that things go as well as they can for him.

Tiffany P. said...

Brittney, that is so unbelievably special, I got all choked up when I was reading it, its amazing how Heavenly Father puts people in the right place at the right time.

Melinda said...

WOW! That is wonderful news! I'm so happy for you. It's going to be an amazing experience. I'm glad you get to use your skills and talents to help your Grandpa, what a blessing. Tell Bryce he's amazing for being so supportive.

Cambria, Ryan, Taeg, Tripp and Brigg said...

Brittany that is so neat! What a cool and unique opportunity. You have such the right personality to be a nurse...your grandpa is in good hands :) I'm with Tiff, i got all teary when reading that. It's just special :)

jackster said...

That is awesome that you get to go take care of him and so cool that everything worked out like that so you'll get to go spend time with them in Blanding! I hope everything goes well!

Maranda said...

I'm sorry about your grandparents. It's nice to be able to give something back to them that they'll never forget. You are sacrificing a lot to do that. I think it's very admirable.

Sarah Greener said...

Sorry to hear about your grandpa, but yes what a blessing that you have the ability to care for him!! That will be such an amazing experience for all of you! I bet your mom is sooooo happy to have you home for a while too, that will be a lot of fun!:) Bryce is awesome for letting you do that for your family.

Kathryn said...

britt I am so excited that you will be able to spend some time in blanding I bet your mom is so happy. and that is so nice that you are going to be your grandpas nurse and live so far away from your hubby, it will be hard but so worth it!and when you have breaks and bryce is here we will have to all get together and have dinner and play games!

Chelsea Johnson said...

That is horrible news about your grandpa, but he is so lucky to have you to take care of him, and you are lucky to have this amazing opportunity! Its so hard to see our grandparents age, and almost worse after working in healthcare when we know the outcomes of many of these diagnoses. He will be so well-taken care of by you, and will probably help him cope better too. Hopefully we will be able to get together at some point while you're here, we would love to see you!

Kristin Bishop said...

I'm going back to school to be a nurse!!! They get all the perks:)

I am so happy for you....and like I said, in my selfish ways I am glad you will be in Utah and I will get to see you more often.

You will take great care of him...and cherish that time with him.

Andy & Alicia said...

Oh my heck! Cancer is SOOO dumb. But what an awesome experience for you to get to spend that time with them, and be the one to help him feel better and make him as comfortable as he can be at this time. He is so lucky to have a granddaughter that is willing to put her life on hold to help out. Good Girl! If you need any help, or need meals brought in let me know. 678-2493.

Sandi said...

I'm so glad you are able to help your grandpa and I bet your grandpa is too. I'm sure he'll feel much more comfortable with you than with a nurse he doesn't know. See you soon:)

The Finks said...

That really is amazing that you have the opportunity to take care of your grandpa! I am really sorry that he is not doing well but I wish you the best of luck in Blanding.

Bonnie said...

That is so great that you will be able to take care of him and spend time with your family! What a wonderful opportunity! Good luck with everything. We are going to miss you guys when you move!

Laici said...

Wow! What a great experience that will be for you and your grandpa! It will be so nice for him to have someone he's comfortable with taking care of him, and so nice for you to spend that time with him. Living away from Bryce will be hard, but I bet it makes you guys appreciate each other even more! Hey, where do you get your cute blog templates? I love the scrapbooking look, but don't know where to get them.