Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Dental Procedures Suck!!!

Am I the biggest wimp in the world or do most people HATE dental procedures as much as I do??
* * *
I finally got dental insurance and decided I'd better go to the dentist since it'd been over a year since I'd gone. The last time I'd gone to the dentist I had to have a crown put on and it was literally the WORST experience of my life!!! I thought to myself..... if I ever have to have this done again just knock me out and wake me up in a month when the pain is gone and I can chew food again.:)
So anyway, I found this good dentist in Reno and went in for a "New patient consult". They did x-rays and a cleaning and that was that. Well. . . . after the dentist reviewed my x-rays he told me that 1) I need a filling on one of my back molars and 2) I NEED A ROOT CANAL!!!!
* * *
So I went in last week for my filling and it's been so long since I had to have one that I'd forgotten that you actually have to have shots just for a filling! It's a good thing I wasn't expecting it because I would have had so much anxiety just for a stupid filling!
Well the procedure itself wasn't so bad..... I guess, but the entire left side of my face was numb for like 4 hours afterwards! Gosh, I hate that!!!! I was so worried that I was going to bite my tongue! You could have mistaken me for a stroke victim. . . .seriously! What a miserable experience but I know that it's going to be NOTHING compared to the dreaded root canal! I have not scheduled it yet and I don't plan to until next year!!! It will take me that long to mentally prepare for it.:)

7 comments:

Bonnie said...

I hate going to the dentist too!! But it is something you have to do. I get the worst anxiety! I had to get 2 root canals last week and I got nitrous oxide for the first time ever. It was AWESOME!! Ask for it when you go in to get your root canal. I was so relaxed and even fell asleep! Good luck!!

Kelly said...

I have a had a couple of root canals and honestly I didn't think they were too bad, the worst part is getting the crown put on and since you said last time getting a crown was the worst experience of your life, the root canal should be a breeze!! :) But really they are not as painful as they sound!

Jessie said...

Oh you poor thing!!! I have never had to have a root canal {knock on wood}!

Just get it over with! Easy for me to say...right?

Kathryn said...

i'm with you I have like 4 cavities that I need to go and get fixed but I really don't want to:) NO FUN!

Laici said...

You are not alone. I have serious anxiety about going to the dentist. I had a terrible experience with a guy a while back- he didn't numb me to do my root canal, AND he did it on the wrong tooth!! ONE TIP: ALWAYS ask for happy gas. They look at you like you're crazy, but its sooo worth it. It's the only thing that gets me through the whole experience! GOOD LUCK!

Unknown said...

A root canal...how awful! I am sorry. Good luck with it!

Chelsea Johnson said...

I used to hate the dentist when I was younger and I was the worst patient ever, but its really not bad to me anymore. Good luck with the mental prep of the root canal! I'll keep you in my thoughts.....